CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

movies of late

I watch movies on our portable dvd player while I'm working to keep myself sane. Just in case you were wondering how I had so much "free time" to watch movies :)


I don't know what to make of this. I almost wanted to say it's a cute kids movie, but it really isn't. It was okay, but I'm not sure who I would recommend it to.


The new Sense and Sensiblity... hmmm. There are things I liked for sure. I'm usually really good about forgetting about expectations (I enjoyed the 2005 version of P&P and also loved the colin firth), so I don't know what to say. The Emma Thompson version of S&S is just such the quintessential period film, practically perfect, that it's difficult to not compare other versions. I will say that the second time watching it, I liked it better. And it was interesting to see "Mr. Headstone" from "Our Mutual Friend" as Colonel Brandon. Still like the Emma Thompson version much better. In fact, if you haven't seen either, rent the thompson version (with Alan Rickman (a much more mysterious Colonel) and Kate Winslet).

I'm on a Scarlet Pimpernel kick, what with watching bootlegged vids on youtube of the broadway cast of the encore performance (can anyone ever hope to equal Douglas Sills? I think not!). So, I was curious about this version. I was prepared to very much dislike it, but was surprised. There are some things that might bother a fan of the story. Richard Grant seems an unlikely casting choice of Sir Percy (given his dark hair, and I must admit, he's not really a looker), and also the casting of Marguarite (She is very much not what I would have expected). And there are some plot holes, and some stupid moves on the part of the league (such as calling him percy in a "stage whisper" in France). But, I do like the casting of Chauvelin (Martin Shaw) and Grant grew on me. His characterization and delivery of the lines won me over. The dialogue is fun and witty. Be forewarned, it shows more of the darker side of the story, such as the absolute calousness of the revolutionaries and some of the english aristos, so it's darker. Also a warning, while it was on TV (A&E to be exact), it does contain a few instances of some witty dirty talk. I really enjoyed watching the three episodes I rented from the Library (though IMBD says there are five) and would definitely recommend them. They were adventurous and fun and the chemistry between Percy and Marguarite is lovely, too.




No comments: