CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 22, 2008

"The Age of Innocence" Review

The Age of Innocence (Enriched Classics Series) The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Wharton absolutely draws me in. Her stories are so unconventional. I also read her "Ethan Fromme" in High School and though I made fun of it, the ending really had an impact on me.

I find May a fascinating character in this, especially given Newlands perception of her which might not be exactly correct. I love that even though Newland falls in love with Countess Olenska and feels confined in many ways by May, May isn't a bad person. In fact, quite the opposite is true. I also love Wharton's descriptions of places and social laws, lots of fun satiric wit. I especially love her description of Mrs. Mingott's burden of flesh. (I'm adding it to my favorite quotes).

And though it takes place in the 1870's, it was actually written in 1920, so you don't have to wade through the many annoyances of Victorian Era writing.


View all my reviews.

No comments: