CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

Strange that it's been 7 years since 9/11. I remember growing up and always hearing people say that they could remember exactly what they were doing when they saw the first step on the moon, or when they heard that JFK had been assasinated. Not that I didn't believe them, I just thought it was strange. But, now I know what they meant because I can remember exactly what I was doing when I heard on the BBC news that one plane had crashed into the WTC and they weren't sure what was going on. I carpooled with my dad at the time and I remember commenting to him what I had heard. So, we turned the radio on during our drive to the U of U and that's when the second plane hit. It was so surreal. And then to hear that it was a terrorist plot. I didn't know anyone personally affected by it and it's so many miles away, but if it had that impact on a teenager in Utah, I can't fathom how those people felt who lived in New York, or were right around the corner. Not to mention those who lost family members and friends. If you haven't seen "United 93" that came out a few years ago, I would definitely recommend seeing it. I heard that very little was actually scripted and so it has this amazing feel to it that is not "hollywood" - it feels real. The bravery of those passengers to get the plane to crash, not to kill others, but to save others is really heroic. On this anniversary of the metaphorical carpet being pulled out from under American's feet, I think it appropriate to honor those who have served and are currently serving to ensure that freedom. I think it also appropriate to honor the President and his cabinet on keeping America safe from another terrorist attack. There is no glory when an attack is prevented, but I'm glad that hasn't mattered to our Commander-in-Chief. Heaven knows he's made mistakes, but I'm proud to be an American and proud to have President Bush as the leader of this great country. I'm grateful that he takes his responsiblities more seriously than a popularity contest. And to quote Michael Medved, I'm grateful to live in "this the greatest nation on God's green Earth"!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Very well said Neighbor.