CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 16, 2009

Smart movies

I can't even remember all the movies I've watched, but these gems came to mind. Thank heaven for refreshingly smart screenplays, acting and directing!
"Serenity"
This is technically science fiction, so it may not be for everyone. But, I loved it! The writing on this is so smart. The villain is complex and has very fascinating motives and is creepy. It's an interesting and original idea. And like all good sci-fi it's really more about moral decisions and about characters. And if you need a little incentive to watch it, Joss Whedon wrote and directed it. He's the creator behind "Buffy" and "Angel".

"Stranger than Fiction"
I love love love this movie! Will Ferrell is able to acheive what Jim Carrey never really was - you forget that he's a comedic actor. He gives such a sincere performance. The script on this thing is just beyond awesome - it's so clever. And Emma thompson as the quirky writer makes me smile. This is a must see. It's rare that I like contemporary settings, but this is wonderful.

"The Holiday"
Speaking of it being rare for me to like a certain genre - contemporary chick flicks (aka romantic comedies). This movie had so many earnest cheesy (some cliche) moments, but I LOVED every second of it! And the cheesy parts really almost felt like they were laughing at themselves, which redeems them. The characters are typical in having no qualms sleeping together, but apart from that they were so wonderful. And I have to say, tiffany, if you're reading this, the diaz-law kissing scene, a must watch (esp. after our conversation at playdate) If you haven't seen this, take this from a person who's very skeptical about chick flicks, RENT IT NOW!

4 comments:

Tiff said...

I really liked The Holiday, but I'll have to see it again to refresh my memory about the kissing scene! :) Must have been pretty good huh?

Becky McKinnon said...

Anyone who likes Serenity HAS to see the TV series that spawned it, Firefly. I think even people who are on the fence with sci-fi can enjoy the stories and characters involved. I'd recommend watching Firefly first since Serenity takes over the story, following along the path the series would have taken if it had continued.

Jenny and Mark said...

It took me forever to see "The Holiday", but it's now one of my favorites!

RaCeNMoMmY said...

Becky's comment took the words right out of my mouth. If you loved Serenity then you need to see the Firefly series. It's really good. I could watch it over & over. I was so mad when they cancelled it. It even had/ still has a huge following.