CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Ender in Exile" Review

Ender in Exile (Ender) Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
True rating would be more like 3 1/2 stars. This is an interesting book in that it isn't one continuous story arc, so to speak, but it felt more like little stories compiled into novel length. I guess if you view it as Ender readjusting to peace time then it could be one story arc. Having said that though, I found all of his stories interesting (sometimes when it went to other characters, I got a little antsy to get back to Ender, but not too bad). The feel of the book was a mix between "Ender's Game" and "Speaker..." through "Children..." - the latter being more philosophical in conversations and internal thoughts. There were some beautiful letters - esp. Ender to his parents - and the true arc (I felt) was at the very end when Ender confronts Bean and Petra's last child that had been thought lost. I love his dialogue, which is always sarcastic and clever, and I love Ender. It may seem that the views on society are a little more heavy handed, and though I think they are a little, one has to be careful in jumping to assumptions about Card's own views based solely on the views of his characters (a lot of them are very much different).


View all my reviews.

No comments: