CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 27, 2009

"Brigham Young" movie

No, "Brigham Young" isn't new (hardly), it was made in 1940 and it is black and white; however, I found it very interesting. It's about the LDS prophet Brigham Young, obviously, and his leading the mormon pioneers to the Salt Lake valley. I knew about it because my dad had mentioned that there was a movie in which Vincent Price played the prophet Joseph Smith. I'm a big fan of Price and was intrigued by the idea.

I really could go on and on, but nobody would read it... suffice it to say, there were no LDS people involved in coming up with the idea to make this movie (though they did consult the church through Elder Widstoe during script drafts and filming), but I found it to be a very researched, very respectful film. It did take some artistic license for dramatic purposes (the biggest being Brigham Young's struggle to believe that he himself had been called of God as the next prophet), but I am still amazed, days after having viewed it, that it was at no time cynical of the mormon pioneers or leaders (even the fictionalized leader who is an appeaser and tries to claim leadership of the church himself).
And the actor who plays Brigham Young has an uncanny resemblance to pictures. And an LDS man who was consulted had been a young boy when Young was a very old man said that the actor not only physically resembled Young, but even had some of his mannerisms down.
Anyway, I rented it from the library and I would recommend it to anyone interested in seeing a respectful non-mormon film about a revered mormon prophet.

1 comment:

RaCeNMoMmY said...

thanks for the review, it sounds like a great movie. i will check it out=]