CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 1, 2011

"Hidden Empire" by Orson Scott Card

Hidden EmpireHidden Empire by Orson Scott Card

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Hallelujah! Card is back! Skip "Empire" and go straight to "Hidden Empire"! Trust me, I've forgotten most of what was in "Empire" other than there was an assasination attempt on the President (which was successful, I think) and the U.S. came close to a bloody civil war between blue and red states. And, yes, the whole book was just as contrived as it sounds, but mildly entertaining.

Anyhow, the point is, "Hidden Empire" is far more rife with Card's best tool - the moral/ethical dilemma. A deadly disease breaks out in Africa. Do you quarentine Africa? How do you sell that to the public? What would somebody's motivations be for doing that? And that's just the first of many.

I cared about all the characters in this one. Also, it managed to make me cry! Always a good sign for a book (much more difficult in a book setting than a movie).



View all my reviews

No comments: