CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Drowsy Chaperone

I've only seen a handful of stuff at Hale Centre Theatre, but what I have seen is top notch quality, and their performance of "The Drowsy Chaperone" is no exception. I wasn't familiar with this musical beforehand, but it was a delicious treat!
It's modeled after a decadent 20's musical, like the old Cole Porter or Gershwin stuff with over the top acting, any excuse for a big tap number, and gangsters that are anything BUT intimidating. The thing that makes it work so well is it's structure. The play actually opens on a lonely recently divorced man who likes to listen to showtunes on records. I thought, oh he'll dissapear after the musical part starts and come back every once in a while or at the end - boy! I'm so glad I was wrong! He's there the entire time "pausing" the record to explain something (meanwhile, the actors are frozen mid-sentence, mid-song, and even mid-note!), or the hilarious time when the record "skipped" and they kept repeating the same phrase till he fixed the record. The actor who plays him has the best comic timing ever - I think I'm actually going to go see it again with my neighbor :)
Get tickets now!!! It was the best time out I've had in a while! It runs through Nov 27th and is only $23-$26 a ticket!
Here's a small peek from their production that they posted on YouTube.

No comments: